Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Part 2 – Why I’m a Bitch Sometimes

Overheard at the health club pool: Little girl (about 5 years old) “Mommy, why is her butt so big?” Skinny blonde mom: “Well, sweetie, that’s what happens when you eat too much junk food and don’t exercise”.

Now – the subject of that conversation was me, it happened the evening after I posted my first blog entry, and it happened in a health club. What did she think I was doing there, if I don’t exercise? I confronted the mother with that fact – her response was that she needed to teach her daughter the importance of a healthy lifestyle. I told her that the next time she wants to make me or anyone else into an object lesson, she should also consider the opportunity to teach her child not to be judgmental without the facts – and to act respectfully. As you might guess, she just snorted and turned away.

So – here’s my question – should I have confronted her, or pretended I didn’t hear the exchange? In the past, I definitely would have done the latter. It seems like I’ve spent the better part of my life trying to hide and NOT confront people – from cruel children in the schoolyard to adults on the street. Playing deaf, and crying on the inside – certainly, that wasn’t a healthy scenario for me. As I look back on those days now, I realize that it was lack of self-esteem that caused me to act that way – I thought I deserved all that ridicule. Now, of course, I don’t believe that – but it still hurts to hear it.

I used to wonder why it was that someone would say something insulting about me, but wouldn’t to someone with a different disability. For example, if that mother saw a person with only one arm, would she have said “See dear, that’s what happens when you aren’t careful with farm equipment” or something similar? Of course not. In the same situation, she would have tried to hush her child and hope the disabled person hadn’t heard. The difference is that obese people are blamed for their disability, and therefore it seems perfectly acceptable to subject them to public ridicule.

I could go on at great lengths about the causes of obesity and the failure of the medical profession to develop an effective treatment for it. However, there are plenty of resources available on the web and in your library, so I won’t. If you are really interested, all you have to do is Google “obesity” and you’ll get all you can handle. What I can tell you is that I’ve tried nearly diet I’ve ever heard of, had 2 obesity surgeries, was on several different “fat” pills, lost (and regained) literally hundreds of pounds – not much I’ve missed – and here I am, still fat. I’ve never been a “normal weight” – the least I remember weighing was 185 pounds in 7th grade. So when someone says “Wouldn’t it be nice to be thin again?” I just can’t relate AT ALL.

I think that the worst part of this experience is the scars I will carry forever – the residual sense of shame that enlightenment can’t totally banish; the years of suffering emotional abuse at the hands of other people – some well-meaning, but still wrong, and the opportunities missed because I was afraid that the theater (or airline, or stadium, etc.) seat wouldn’t be large enough. I still remember being on a flight from San Diego to Milwaukee and having the man in the seat beside me INSIST of being moved to a new seat because I was crowding him. Or the cabin attendant on another flight who moved me to a less comfortable seat from an exit row seat because “it was obvious” to her that I could not be responsible for helping others to exit in an emergency.

So – I’m a bitch sometimes because I’m tired of being judged as “less than” by people who don’t begin to understand about obesity and make a whole set of bad judgments due to that ignorance. I’m tired of being underestimated and dismissed as “not suitable” for any number of things – teams, jobs, relationships – because of my weight. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not a proponent of being overweight, because it isn’t healthy. That’s why I’m working, once again, to try to conquer the problem or at least minimize it. But even if I succeed in losing weight, I’ll still be who I am today – it won’t make any difference in the core of who I am. Only to the packaging.

4 comments:

  1. Oh honey, I totally get where you are coming from. As a little girl I remember my Mom (who is obese as well) asking me if another woman was bigger than her or if she looked really fat that day. At that point I was skinny and just shrugged it off. Now since I gained so much weight and have been diagnosed with PCOS I understand where she was coming from. It does hurt to hear and see people talk about you behind your back especially when you are trying to control it and can't. Everyday I wake up and feel fatter and hate it. I may not actually be gaining any weight, but I believe that this is me feeling horrible for gaining the weight that I have. I feel like I wont find love until I am skinny. I am embarrassed to go out and meet new people for fear of what they will say because I am still new to the area and at least in St Louis my friends understood what I was going through as they had been there with me through it all. Just know that you are loved and that it isn't necessarily that ladies fault for how she handled the situation. I blame the media. Without them focusing on what celeb looks so nasty gaining 10 lbs and putting on a bikini I think this world would understand a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I read these stories, my own experiences ring in my head and my physical and emotional scars are brought to the surface. Years of pregidous thin people have crushed my self esteen and now that I am thinner (not thin) I find it a daily struggle NOT to see myself as 340. I am reminded of my experience with an airline when they wanted to charge me for 2 seats on their airline. The embarassment that caused has prevented me from flying even today with them. Hang in there Kathy, this is something that can be accomplished. Surround yourself with supportive people and never be afraid to confront the skinny little bitches at the gym!!!

    xoxo,
    Marco

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo! I acknowledge the courage it took you to speak up. People must learn that it is unacceptable to judge others based on their BODIES (as well as their ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious views, or anything else). By speaking up for yourself, you refused to give away your power, and you taught a valuable lesson to that little girl (poor thing, imagine, growing up with a mother like that?!) You are a hero! -- Gyan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing. A lot of people do need to be confronted. So many naive and ignorant people in this world. Such a shame. I was lucky to be raised with an open mind. But also to be self conscious about weight. I too fight to keep pounds off, now more than ever with fibromyalgia.
    Keep up the good fight and do not be afraid to speak your mind. People just might stop to listen. I have found that to be true.

    Cheers!
    Teia

    ReplyDelete