Friday, August 21, 2009

Trust and Betrayal

By nature, I’m a very trusting person. Maybe it’s just the way I was raised – in a very small town where you knew everyone and they knew not just you, but your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. Where nobody locked their doors or windows, and folks slept out on the screen porch during hot weather. Where everybody took care of everyone else’s kids as if they were their own, and you were always welcome at a neighbor’s house and dinner table. Maybe that’s why I have gotten hurt so many times in my life since – I always seem trust people until they prove that they can’t be trusted. You’d think I’d learn sooner or later. Looks like it’s going to be later.

Why are some people so selfish that they don’t care about what happens to someone else as long as they get what they want? How do they get to that point? Did no one care about them when they were young? Did life screw them over so badly that they feel like they deserve whatever they can get, no matter what? It’s always been a mystery to me why some people are such assholes. I keep thinking there must be a reason for it, and if I could understand it, I could deal with it. After 55 years on this earth, I still do not understand, and at this point, I doubt I ever will.

For me, life is all about loving and being loved. It’s about giving of yourself to make others happy. It’s caring about people you don’t even know – wanting life to be better for them, and doing what you can to make it that way. It’s about finding that one person that you want to spend the rest of your life making happy, and doing everything in your power to do just that. It’s about treasuring friends and family above everything else, and being there for them whatever happens. It’s about not running away from problems and uncomfortable situations with the one(s) you love, but hanging in there and fighting for the best outcome for everyone. It’s about giving love whenever and wherever you can.

Unfortunately for me, that means that I get disappointed and hurt all too often. When people tell me something, I believe them. When someone says they will do something or be somewhere, I believe that they will. And when they don’t, I’m not always half as mad at them as I am at myself for being such a sucker! Which, of course, means they win twice – once when I believe them, and once when I beat myself up for being so foolish.

Sometimes I wonder what the right answer is, here. Is it to trust no one and believe that everyone you meet has ulterior motives? Is it to “play the game back” and hurt rather than be hurt? Do I just withdraw from life altogether to avoid being hurt? Or is it my lot to keep believing, keep hoping, keep trying and, in the end, keep being hurt and disappointed.

In case you are wondering, this week someone I thought was a friend turned out to be someone who only wanted to use me to get something they wanted. They offered me some things that I value – friendship, caring and companionship – only to get me to let my guard down so that they could manipulate me to get what they wanted. I’m left feeling like dirt under their feet. And somehow, I doubt that they care one bit. After all, they got what they wanted in the first place. Mission accomplished.

5 comments:

  1. Tough question that really has no clear answer. I often wonder this myself, but finally came to the conclusion that since I believe everything happens for a reason & people cross paths for a reason... that even though the person we loved or helped isn't what we thought, we were what we were supposed to be.... loving & caring.

    Being taken advantage of never feels good.. but in some way, you served a purpose in someone's life. I believe that reservation is warranted in most cases so you don't end up abused by people... but you should not be so apt to beat yourself up for showing tha tyou love & care for someone.

    I hope that makes some sort of sense sweetness.. I'm trying to convey this through fibro fog. LOL

    I love you.. and you're an amazing woman that I adore so much.
    xoxox
    Your BFF
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not get down when people take advantage of your kind heart.

    I have been through this way to long myself. I let some friends go this year and developed new friendships. That is just how life is. I have turned my back on the rude people in my life and opened up to new more understanding people. My life is definitely improving for it.

    Take care and don't loose hope.
    ((hugs))

    Teia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - talk about something that speaks to the heart. A trusting soul is not someone to be ridiculed but someone to be heralded. Keep trusting because if you don't then there is that one soul that needed your trust who will be denied for someone else's fault. xo

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! THanks for sharing! it shows another facet of who you are and why I like having you as my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone has this happnen but you can't stop believing in people! I honestly believe there are more good people than bad! By the way I am enjoying reading your blog and will be back often :)

    ReplyDelete